Are you confused by all the bicycle frames being sold today? There was a time when bikes only used one type of frame, but times have changed and there are now specific frame types for specific bikes.
One of the most common mistakes new riders make is assuming that any type of frame will do, but that is not the case anymore as these rides have become more specialized, hence the need for the best fixie bike frames.
If you are going to ride a fixie, it’s important to get a frame that is suited for that bike, as choosing the wrong type could have an adverse effect on its overall performance.
I used to have that kind of problem too so I had to make sure the bike frames I used were the right ones. Now I have gone over the best frames available and put them together here.
How to Choose the Best Bike Frames
There are several factors that should be considered, including the size of the frame and the type of bike you will ride. In addition you have to account for the terrain and the type of riding you intend to do.
The fork is the component on the bicycle that joins the frame onto the front wheel. The fork is also essential for helping you steer the bike properly. Forks have two ends that are connected to the bicycle’s front wheel, so when buying a frame, make certain it is the proper size for the bike wheel. These pointers are applicable not just to road bike frames but other bikes as well.
Bike Frame Measurement
Some pointers here:
- When it comes to bike frames three elements are measured: your reach, the inside leg measurement and your height. This is true for all bike frames.
- It is your inside leg measurement that determines the bike’s stand over height: the stand over height is the clearance between your crotch when standing along the front of the saddle and bike’s top tube. A minimum clearance of 2” is ideal.
- If your inside leg measurement and height places you between sizes, the deciding factor will be your upper body. If your arm span is greater compared to your height, go with the larger size, but if you are taller than your arm span, it is better to go smaller.
- Women’s bikes have narrow handlebars, and the frame, along with other features, are tailor made for the female form as their torsos are usually shorter compared to men, but have longer legs.
- Keep in mind that not everyone falls in the average size category so test the bike first.
Types of Bike Frames
The following are the most widely used.
Mountain Bike Frames
These frames are built with comfort in mind rather than speed. Shock absorbers are connected to the frame’s front or front and back, and the frame is rectangular with a greater height than width. There may be some variations but this is the general setup to emphasize strength and comfort.
Hybrid Bike Frames
Hybrid and roadster bike frames are typically built of steel and are heavier than other frames. The seat tube is configured in such a way you can sit upright, and the handlebars are upright too so it’s quite comfortable. Hybrid and coaster bikes for women have a step through for easier mounting.
Hybrid frames are durable and like the hybrid bike, provide the best of both worlds. They are the ideal solution to riders who want to do a bit of everything and not focused exclusively on one type of ride.
Road Bike Frames
The typical road bike frame is built for minimum drag and weight, and the seat tube angle is steeper compared to other bikes. This is necessary so your riding position is aerodynamically sound, albeit not as comfortable as on other frames. The frames are usually made from aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium or steel. The drop handlebars are also joined to the frame.
As the name makes clear, folding bikes are foldable for convenient transportation and use. Most of these bikes are made of aluminum or other light materials and have a hinge in the center of the frame or multiple hinges that fold close to the front of the frame and the rear wheel.
The wheels on these bikes are compact to conserve even more space as you fold the bike. Most of the time folding bikes comes in one size fits all so height won’t be an issue.
Bike frames come in all shapes and sizes, but the common denominator is the need to balance durability and weight. That is the reason why aluminum is so popular right now because it provides just the right balance. However there are other material options you should keep an eye on.
Recommended Fixie Bike Frames Reviews
Now that we have covered the essentials of choosing a bike frame for your fixie, it’s time we have go through the reviews of the top five. I have spent a lot of time comparing these products and I am confident you will find the following satisfactory.
1. Pure Fix Original Fixed Gear Bike Frame Set
This frameset was built with emphasis on performance. It is designed for speeding on streets, and the hi-tensile steel is built for long term use.
The frame itself has a classic look but comes with modern features that improve performance.
The frameset is compatible with messenger, fixed gear, road and fixie bikes, underscoring its versatility. Its geometry is also suitable for speed without compromising durability or reliability.
The frame is a bit heavier compared to others in its range, but it is not by much and does not affect its performance.
- Fork and frame are built from high quality, tig-welded steel
- Comes with a standard 1-1/8 inch fork with openings for brake attachments
- Works with 25.4mm seat post and 1-1/8 inch thread less headset
- Comes in 3 sizes: 58cm/large, 54cm/medium and 50cm/small
2. State Bicycle Black Label 6061 Aluminum Frame
The frame is solid and the welding is of top quality and superior to most in its range.
The weld quality is only matched by the paint job. As customers have pointed out, the paint doesn’t wear out even when exposed to the elements. The design is simple but effective with no fancy graphics crowding the frame.
The headset and seats are well configured and the fork is light yet has a solid feel to it. One would expect a rough ride from a low cost frame, but here the experience is smooth and comfortable.
- Carbon fiber steer tube
- Essor USA carbon fiber fork
- Tig-welded aluminum frame
- Solidly built
3. State Bicycle Co Fixed Gear Fixie Chromoly Frame
The frame is light and solid, and this is complemented by a beautiful paint job. The welding is also top class, so it is no surprise the performance is solid.
The frame has a nice stiff feel to it, not too harsh but just right for strong riding. The fork and other components are well made and serviceable, but they can be replaced easily if you want to upgrade it.
- Compatible with 9 and 10 mm spindles / axles
- Works with 68mm x 103mm bottom bracket
- Threadless 1-1/8″ A-head
- Compatible with 27.2mm seatpost
4. Track Fixie Single Speed Road Bike Frame
If you are looking for a cost effective bike frame that is built for long term use, you won’t be disappointed with this one.
The fork is a bit on the heavy side but there is no discernable effect on a bike’s performance. The frame doesn’t have any paint flaws, blemishes or problems with the welding. In other words the frame is solidly constructed.
- Available in different sizes
- Mounts for rear rack and water bottle cages included
- Frame is made of lightweight and solid aluminum
- Easy to configure
5. Unbranded Motobecane Fixie Bicycle Frame Set
Constructed from high quality materials, it is the ideal choice for those who need a reliable frame.
The frame is made from 6061 aluminum and comes with a Cro Moly fork steel. This is a solid combination and it shows when you use it to build a bike. The frame includes cable stops, bottle mounts, fender eyelets and other vital components. The frame includes cable stops, bottle mounts, fender eyelets and other vital components.
- Full factory warranty
- Installed frame savers
- Headset included
- Built for long term use
Final Verdict on Fixie Bike Frames
We spend a lot of time going over the various components like the pedals, brakes and seats that fundamental ones like the frames are take for granted. That should not be the case since the frame is what holds everything together.
Experienced riders spend a lot of time researching, but with these reviews you can have your pick of the best fixie bike frames and be assured of their quality. Even if you are new to bicycles, it helps if you know the ins and outs of buying frames so when the time comes you need a replacement, you’ll have no problem figuring out what you need.