Best Fixie Bike – Guide & Reviews
A few years ago, these fixed gear bikes were all the rage, especially among the hipster set. Called a fixie by street kids, a bike like this doesn’t have any shifters and cogs for you to bother with. It offers a refreshing simplicity in its operations. You just pedal forward to go forward and you can even pedal backwards to go in reverse.
You want to stop? Stand on the pedals. It’s that simple. With the best fixie bike you can easily pedal your way around your neighborhood or campus.Nowadays, you can find lots of these bikes for sale secondhand, but that’s a very iffy proposition. Why not just buy one brand-new? At least you won’t have to risk getting some deathtrap converted bike that’ll fall apart within days.
Below is the table which shows the top 9 best fixie bikes 2017.
Things to Consider When Buying a Fixie Bike
Now that the hipsters have moved on from their fixie bike fixation for the most part, you’re now free to realize just how fun and exhilarating these bikes can be. They’re very light and maneuverable, and you won’t have those confusing gears to bother with.So how do you pick the best fixie bike for you? It’s mostly a matter of preference, but for the most part you should consider the following factors:
Now usually price isn’t really a factor for fixed gear bikes. Very rarely will you find one that costs almost as much as a car does. Still, you should probably stick to spending just $500 at the most. You really don’t have to go with the fixed-gear bikes that cost more than a thousand bucks, and that’s just for the frame set!
It ought to come in a variety of colors, so that it will best suit your personality. Not everyone’s enamored of the all-black look, and funky colors can make it easier for you to find your bike among many in the parking lot.
Some bikes are more suited for beginners, such as those with brakes. Newbies should also insist on a flip-flop rear hub, so you can still use it as a single-speed freewheel bike. In the US alone, more than 900 cyclists die and almost half a million people receive emergency medical treatment as a result of bicycle accidents.
Component quality & Sizing options
You need a durable frame, and hopefully some high quality (or brand name) components. Not everyone’s the same size, so you need several sizes to choose from.
Recommended Best Fixie Bike
We know that picking one among the numerous available fixed-gear bikes can be a pain, so we’ve come up with a list of bikes that should do well for you. All these bikes do well in regards to the factors we’ve listed. They’re all affordable for the most part, they mostly offer several color combos, they feature high quality materials and components, and you have several sizes to choose from.
Critical Cycles Fixed Gear Single Speed Fixie Urban Road Bike
This is a handy bike for commuters, but it’s also good for just cruising or even for some freestyle tricks. Again you have several size options to choose from, although the precise number of size options will depend on the color combination you pick.
Here you now have an astonishing 27 color schemes for your bike. There are several versions of the basic black, plus other colorful combinations that can really set your bike apart.
- You can easily change from fixed-gear to single-speed. That should help you relax if you’re a newbie, or if you just want to lazily go around the neighborhood.
- Its’ very light at 24 pounds at the most, so you shouldn’t have any trouble maneuvering or carrying the bike when you need to.
- The frame is very durable. In fact, it even comes with a manufacturer’s lifetime warranty.
- The other components are also trustworthy. They come with a 1-year warranty. However, you need have the bike professionally assembled to activate the warranty.
- The seat offers enough space for you to go fast, but it also offers a comfy perch when you’re just cruising along.
6KU Track Fixed Gear Bicycle
This brand has earned quite a few rave reviews online, and we agree that it’s a heck of a bike. It’s even surprisingly affordable.
You can pick among 5 color combinations. Whatever you choose, it’ll look great. People will think it’s much more expensive than it really is.
In all likelihood, it’ll be the best-looking bike on campus.
- The available sizes depend on the color combo you choose. With the yellow frame and black tires, the sizes range from 49 to 58 cm. But the other color combos may only offer the 52 cm size.
- It’s very light, and you can even lift it up with a single hand. That’s certainly convenient when you’re going up steps or the sidewalk.
- The frame is quite durable, and the welds seem of high quality.
- It can go very fast, and you’ll probably outpace your friends on mountain bikes. You can also go faster than regular road traffic in the city.
- It’s also easy to assemble.
- You can ride fixed-fear or freewheel, although you may want to replace the brake pads for freewheeling at the earliest opportunity.
Golden Cycles Fixed Gear Bike Steel Frame Fixie with Deep V Rims-Collection
This is a great cruising bike, and at its price range it’s surprisingly well-built. If you need a non-nonsense bike for regular commutes and easy rides around town, this is a great bike to ride.
With this bike you have 10 color combos to choose from, with whimsical names like “Vader” for the matte black and “Sugar Coat” for the pink. It does look good, and it can really give you a distinct look in the bike rack.
- The color combos will determine the size options. Some color combinations offer a 48-cm size, while you can get the Vader at 59 cm.
- The frame is extremely durable, and it will last you for a very long while.
- It’s not really all that heavy, although it feels solid enough.
- It’s very comfortable to ride, and it also offers the option for single-speed freewheeling.
For the most part, you’ll want to change some of the components as time passes. But that frame is a real keeper. It’ll serve you well when you wish to customize it with other components that better fit your preferences.
Critical Cycles Classic Fixed-Gear Single-Speed Bike with Pista Drop Bars
Critical Cycles is based in California, and this bike is geared towards newbies and experienced riders alike.
The bars do offer you a more streamlined position, which go very well when you’re really going by fast. This is one of the more affordable bikes on the list, although of course it all depends on the size you get.
- The sizes available depend on the color scheme you pick, but usually you have 4 or 5 size options to choose from for your height. It can be as small as 43 cm or as large as 60 cm.
- You can choose among 8 color combinations, so in total you have 170 size-color options to choose from.
- The frame uses premium steel that can really last despite the various rough roads and potholes you encounter.
- It comes with a lot of brand name accessories. It even comes with water bottle mounts for extended cruising. The pedals also have straps, but you can replace it (along with the other components) easily enough.
- It also offers a flip-flop hub that allows for single-speed freewheeling. All you need to do is to flip the rear tire and you’re good to go. The fixed-gear, however, is really great for paved urban roads.
- The saddle is very comfy, and also available in sizes that make this suitable for teens and kids.
- Your purchase includes three Allen wrenches (4 mm, 5 mm, and 6 mm) and a 10-function multi-tool so you don’t need to buy tools to assemble this bike.
This offers a very smooth ride, and it’s solidly built. It’s not all that heavy either, so maneuvering it shouldn’t be difficult.
Vilano Rampage Fixed Gear Fixie Single Speed Road Bike
This is for newbies, and for the no-nonsense types who just want something they can rely on for commuting or cruising. That explains the low price, but it is very dependable.
You can choose among 3 sizes, ranging from the small 50 cm to the large 58 cm. If you’re average-sized, the 54 cm will do just fine. You can also pick among 5 color combos for the frame and tires.
- It’s very easy to put together. In fact, the process seems quite intuitive and you may not even need to consult the instructions (which are included, of course).
- It doesn’t need a lot of maintenance at all. It’s something you ride, and not something you fuss over with.
- It also offers the option to shift to a single-speed freewheel mode.
- Its durability is outstanding. Ride it 10 miles a day every day, and you won’t worry about it.
There’s something to be said about really affordable bikes in the city. Use it around town, and you won’t have to worry about theft. At the same time, it looks good enough that you won’t feel embarrassed to be seen riding this. If you’re an avid mountain biker, you may want to get this as your ride around town, and save your mountain bike for the weekend.
Pure Fix Glow in the Dark Fixed Gear Single Speed Fixie Bike
This one seems especially geared for the young (or the young at heart, I guess). But adults can get the larger size and feel assured of its strength.
The size options include the XX-small size, which measures 43 cm. that should be small enough even for teens. The color schemes you can choose from are also very youth-oriented.
- But the paint also offers some safety features. It’s solar-activated, so it glows in the dark for an hour, after every hour of exposure to the sun.
- The flip-flip hub can also be found here, so you can switch from fixed-gear to single-speed freewheel.
- It comes with high-end brand name components, which means you won’t have to customize this extensively to get the quality of ride you want.
- It is very light, and it weighs about 22 to 24 pounds.
- It’s also unbelievably easy to assemble.
The customer support here is also very helpful, and they’ll address any issues you may have as best as they can.
Big Shot Kyoto Single Speed Fixie Bike
It is reasonable price bike, this is considered by many as the best of its class.
It offers 3 available sizes, which can a height range from 5’2” to 6’3”.
There really aren’t a lot of choices when it comes to color, but then again the black does look nice enough.
- It can ride as a fixed-gear or a single-speed freewheel.
- The handlebars offer 3 riding positions so you can set it up according to your riding style.
- It qualifies as a racing bike, but it’s also very comfortable to cruise around town with.
The quality of this bike is outstanding, and assembling it is easy enough. It even comes with dual brakes, which can really set the minds of freewheelers at ease.
State Bicycle Co Fixed Gear Fixie Single Speed Bike
Now this is among the most expensive of the lot, and that’s because this Arizona-based company really cares about quality.
They also offer lots of custom options, and in fact you can just about pick every component you want for this bike from top to bottom.
Here you get 6 frame sizes, ranging from 46 to 62 cm. That means you’re able to get the precise size you need for your height.
- Color options are numerous too, as you can pick from 20 choices available.
- You can even pick the handlebar style you want. Your options include pista bars, pursuit, riser bars, bullhorns, and drop bars.
- The components are of high quality, which explains the price.
- It also comes with both freewheel and fixed-gear capabilities.
You won’t have to change a lot of the components, as the stock parts are topnotch. His is a durable bike you can depend on, and you won’t worry all that much about bumps and potholes on the road.
State Bicycle Black Label 6061 Aluminum Fixed Gear Bike
This is the priciest of the lot, but then again its quality is truly outstanding.
The size offerings range from 49 cm to 62 cm. That means if your height is within 5 feet flat to 6’6”, you’ll be able to find the right size among the 6 size options available.
You also have 11 color schemes to choose from. They range from the matte black to the Hot Pink that can really test how secure you are in your masculinity. Regardless of the color scheme you choose, you won’t find a blemish or flaw in the paint.
- Everything, from the frame to the components, is exceptional.
- You also get the option to switch from fixed gear to single speed freewheel. It also comes with front and rear brakes when in single-speed mode.
This can handle corners nimbly, and in a straight line it can also go frighteningly fast. It’s very beautiful, and even non-bikers will be impressed by its looks.
If you need a workout, then the fixie is great for your needs. The wheels move when the pedals move, and that’s the beauty of it. Because you don’t have all the confusing gears to worry about, very few things can go wrong with it.
At the same time, we do know that many want the option for freewheel cruising around town, which is why every bike on this list has that option. Pick any of these bikes, and you have a dependable bike that’s comfy for cruising and speedy for urban commutes.
Every year they say that the fixie is going out of style, and every year it remains a bestseller. With the best fixie bike, you can now enjoy your rides around town much better than with your mountain bikes!
As a subscriber, you never miss a post and you get access to my exclusive free guide/weekly content/whatever benefits you offer. Sign up today to join over 20,000 happy subscribers!
Check our Latest Blog Posts